Types and methods of metal processing
Metal processing is a technological process that consists in the physical impact on metals or metal alloys in order to achieve the necessary characteristics, shapes, sizes, physical and mechanical properties. There are different ways to do this.
Basic methods of metal processing
The most popular metalworking methods are the following:
- Machining (cutting).
- Metal pressure treatment
Each of these techniques can be used alone or in combination with each other. More about each of them further.
Mechanical (milling) processing of metals
This technology is a mechanical effect on the material with special cutting tools that remove excess. As a result, the metal acquires the desired size and shape.
The types of metal cutting include:
- Abrasion exposure.
Machining of metals under pressure
This technique refers to processes aimed at changing the shape and configuration of a metal blank while maintaining its continuity. Such plastic deformation leads to the fact that certain parts of the part are partially displaced.
Metalworking under pressure covers several types:
- Pressing – it is based on the extrusion of metal by a press from the cavity of the matrix using a press.
- Rolling – a technological process during which the rotating rolls of a rolling mill compress the original billet. Rolling can be transverse, longitudinal and helical.
- Drawing is the drawing of metal blanks through a tapering hole (die) in a tool called a die.
- Forging is a high-temperature operation that involves preheating the workpiece to a certain forging temperature, depending on the grade of metal.
- Volumetric stamping – a type of impact on a metal workpiece with a stamp, as a result of which the semi-finished product takes a given shape.
- Sheet stamping – impact on the metal by pressure, as a result of which the raw material is deformed and turned into thin-walled blanks and parts for machine-building, shipbuilding and auto-building enterprises.
Industries in which metal forming is widely used: mechanical engineering, automotive industry, aviation industry.
This method of metal processing consists in welding individual parts or other elements. It looks like this: under the influence of heating, the edges of metal products begin to melt, join and harden. The result is a strong seam.
There are several types of welding:
When using this method, the metal is first melted, then poured into pre-prepared molds in which the material solidifies. The parts of different shapes and sizes obtained as a result of the injection method are called castings.
In the central region of Ukraine, the specialists of the enterprise are ready to perform metal processing in various ways to order «Dnepropetrovsk Foundry and Machine-Building Plant». To do this, experienced personnel have at their disposal high-tech modern equipment that allows them to perform the tasks of clients of both small and large businesses.